Who We Are
We help anyone, anywhere in the UK and around the world, get the support they need if crisis strikes.
The British Red Cross is a volunteer-led, humanitarian organisation that helps people in crisis, whoever and wherever they are. We help vulnerable people, in the UK and overseas, to prepare for and respond to emergencies in their own communities. And, when the crisis is overm we help people recover and move on with their lives.
With the help of regular donors, the British Red Cross supports millions of people to cope with all kinds of crises - from natural disasters and conflicts, to individual injuries and other personal challenges. Our work includes emergency response, refugee support, independent living services, and first aid and humanitarian education, helping individuals and communities prepare for, cope with and recover from a range of crises.
From responding to disasters overseas, to running first aid training here in the UK, the Red Cross helps hundreds of thousands of people every year. Here’s how we put the power of kindness into 2018:
- We launched a new volunteer role, so anyone can help their neighbours when crisis strikes
- We helped over 150,000 young people learn lifesaving first aid skills, equipping them with the skills that could save a life in an emergency
- We helped 9,018 people with our crisis response service, with our specially-trained volunteers being called upon when a UK emergency strikes
- We supported 2,566 individuals with out Restoring Family Links service, by helping to find missing relatives abroad who have been seperated by war, disasters or migration
- We loaned out 70,700 mobility aids, such as wheelchairs, to help people gain their independence
- We supported 118,815 people in the UK settle back at home and live independently after they have returned from hospital
- We helped 36,574 refugees and asylum seekers in the UK, from helping individuals to better understand the asylum process to builidng confidence and skills
How your money helps
- £5 a month for a year could provide 12 first aid kits for families in Myanmar, giving them the essential equipment necessary to help someone who is hurt
- £10 a month for a year could provide a wheelchair for eight weeks to someone who cannot afford it, helping them to feel less fearful of falling, and less socially isolated
British Red Cross is a Registered Charity in England and Wales (220949), Scotland (SC037738) and the Isle of Man (0752).