Who we are and what we do
Age UK exists to improve the lives of older people. We do this through offering a range of services that show people in later life that they are not alone and that there is help available, including:
- Age UK Advice, a free information and advice phone line offering practical information about everything from finance to fitness
- Befriending services that give lonely and isolated older people the opportunity to meet new people and develop lasting relationships
- Home-help services, fitting safety equipment such as grab fails, smoke alarms and locks, so that older people can feel safe in their homes
Why we need you
To carry out much of the work we do we rely on donations from members of the public. Last year, thanks to the support of our donors we were able to:
- Make contact with 110,000 isolated older people through initiatives such as our befriending scheme and friendship centres
- Make over 15,000 home-help visits
- Help older people and their carers to claim £124 million in unclaimed benefits.
By giving to Age UK using the Charities at Work scheme, you are enabling us to keep identifying and addressing the things that make life most difficult for older people today – from isolation and ill health to financial hardship.
At 94 years old, Ruby’s zest for life is unstoppable now that she has someone to share it with. Ruby loves to chat, but was lonely between her daughter’s visits. Her local Age UK teamed her up with befriender Siggy and they hit it off straight away. Siggy now calls to see her regularly at home. They go shopping, share lunch and have even enjoyed outings to Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament together. The quality of Ruby’s life has been transformed, thanks to regular supporters like you.
- £5 will pay for a security chain or door bolt to make an older persons house more secure
- £10 covers the cost of a one-hour home visit by a volunteer
- £12 will pay for a sociable hot meal for four people at an Age UK lunch club
Age UK is a Registered Charity in England and Wales (1128267)